Set sail with us
Head out on one of our incredible heritage vessels on the Waitematā Harbour.
Climb aboard the Museum's ketch-rigged scow for a one-hour sail on the Waitematā Harbour.
Tuesday - Sunday
Take a leisurely cruise on this unique vintage motor launch.
Mondays and Tuesdays
Head out for a 20-minute steam around the Viaduct Harbour on our cute 19th-century steam tug.
A modern take on a traditional waka, special sailings with Te Toki Voyaging Trust.
No sailings scheduled
Trip Advisor, @KiwiRowell
All the kids got to interact with hoisting sails and winding ropes in and the Captain was great with the littlies - he even let them have a go at steering the ship.
Are you ship-shape and ready to sail?
- On all sailings, children under 14 years old are required to wear lifejackets, which are supplied by the Museum.
- On SS PUKE, all passengers must wear life-jackets, which are supplied by the Museum.
- Children must be able to fit our smallest life jackets (approx. 8-10kg).
- Please advise of your access needs upon making your booking
- Non-motorised wheelchairs are permitted on TED ASHBY
- People using a wheelchair must be able to wear a lifejacket and be accompanied by a caregiver.
- Only a maximum of two wheelchairs can be accommodated per sailing on TED ASHBY.
- A maximum total combination of four pushchairs and wheelchairs are permitted on TED ASHBY.
- Unfortunately SS PUKE and NAUTILUS are not wheelchair accessible.
- Motorised wheelchairs cannot be accommodated on-board any of our vessels.
Yes, we are a family friendly Museum and our sailings are a great way for children to experience the water.
- All children 14 years and under shall wear a lifejacket which shall be provided by the New Zealand Maritime Museum.
- Our lifejackets can only fit children weighing at least 10kg.
- Any child not wearing a lifejacket shall not be permitted on board the vessel.
- Children must have suitable adult supervision on board the vessel.
- Prams are permitted onboard TED ASHBY.
Yes, Double and Family sailing passes are available to purchase at our Museum shop or over the phone on (09) 373 0800.
Our sailings are likely to go ahead in wet weather conditions. The Museum can water-proof rain jackets as needed.
Strong winds may cause cancellations.
If it proves necessary for the New Zealand Maritime Museum to make any changes or cancellations to dates and/or times of vessel sailings for weather, safety, maintenance and/or operational requirement, staff will endeavour to provide as much notice as is reasonably possible using the contact details provided in your booking, and where possible, your booking will be transferred to a similar sailing.
Sailing passes for TED ASHBY and NAUTILUS also include admission into the Museum.
Life jackets and rain jackets are provided when necessary at no extra cost.
- TED ASHBY and NAUTILUS trips are approx. 1 hour long.
- SS PUKE trips are approx. 20 mins.
- The sailing duration may vary and is dependant on weather conditions.
Visitors should allow at least 30 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time for collection of sailing tickets.
All passengers are required to board the vessel no less than 15 minutes prior to the sailing time. The vessel’s departure will not be delayed to accommodate late arrivals.
Late arrivals (within five minutes of the scheduled sailing time) may result in non-boarding of the vessel and payment may not be refunded.