Welcome to The Bill Laxon Maritime Library
Open Thursday 10am - 4pm (or by appointment Monday - Wednesday)
Meet our Librarian
Our dedicated Archives and Library Manager Danielle cares for and assists with access to the library's collection. This unique public resource is used by researchers, family historians and maritime enthusiasts to navigate their place in Aotearoa New Zealand's history.
- Phone (09) 373 0810
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Opening hours: Thursday 10am - 4pm, or by appointment Monday - Wednesday
An entry fee of $10.00 is payable at the Museum's front of house for all research visits. If you would like to access the library's collections for research, you can visit the library on Thursday 10am-4pm, or by appointment Monday - Wednesday.
Making a Research Request
If you would like to request that research be undertaken on your behalf, please get in touch via our contact form, selecting 'Library' as your related enquiry. If you’ve also researched this yourself, please tell us where you have already searched for information.
Please allow up to three working days for an initial response. Research fees apply.
A research fee of $30.00 per half hour applies after the initial 15mins of library staff support.
- Per page (A4/A3 b&w) 20 cents
- Per page (A4/A3 colour) 40 cents
- Image scans for research purposes $5.00 per image
- Half hour charge for library staff copying /scanning of multiple documents $30.00
- Digital printout on high-resolution paper (A4) $5.00 per image
- Digital printout on photo paper (A4 b&w) $20.00 per image
- Digital printout on photo paper (A4 colour) $25.00 per image
If you would like to reproduce material from the Bill Laxon Library, where the Museum does not hold the copyright, it is your responsibility to seek permission from the copyright holder. The library charges the following reproduction costs in addition to production costs.
- For non-profit organisations or a small-scale publication not for sale (e.g. family history publication for family only) $5.00 per image
- For use in a public/private commercial building on display $10.00 per image
- For use in a book or serial offered for sale $20.00 per image
- For use in a video, DVD, TV programme or film $30.00 per image
The Bill Laxon Maritime Library will contact you if there are likely to be additional fees for research copying or image reproduction.
While the library does not hold passenger or crew lists, additional resources in the collection may include:
- Photographs of some passenger ships
- Selected ephemera such as deck plans, accommodation plans or menus
- A small number of shipboard diaries and logs
Other useful resources
The Bill Laxon Maritime Library is a reference only library and no items are available for loan. Prints, copies and scans can be made for a small fee where copyright alows.
Our library is located inside the New Zealand Maritime Museum on Level 2.
Take the lift to the second level and turn left.
Bill Laxon was a founding member of the Auckland Maritime Society that developed the proposal for the New Zealand Maritime Museum. The Bill Laxon Maritime Library houses his extensive archives including his collection of over 200,000 index cards featuring images and key facts about a range of vessels.