Sir John Logan Campbell - The Father of Auckland
When Hobson settled on building his new capital on the shore of the Waitemata, John Logan Campbell spotted the opportunity. He and his friend William Brown knew that buying land, building parts of the new township then selling it off in sections would bring them great wealth. Having amassed riches, Campbell didn't believe in hording it, but rather in giving back to the city.
Best known for gifting Cornwall Park to the people of New Zealand, Dr Campbell (as he was known) also had great affection for a site that overlooked the Waitemata, near where the Parnell Rose Garden now stands. On this site he built his dream home; a gracious Italianate mansion. He loved the views of the sea from the promontory – watching the ships, and gazing out to Browns Island (Motukorea) where he and William Brown first settled in 1840.