Name/TitleIRON DUKE, X Class yacht
Brief DescriptionThe clinker-built 14-footer IRON DUKE, owned by Lord Jellicoe (Governor-General 1920-1924), was instrumental in establishing the X Class in New Zealand. Lord Jellicoe’s involvement lent the X Class, also known as the ‘Jellicoe’ Class, high status. With the establishment in 1921 of the Sanders Memorial Cup for inter-provincial yacht racing, the X Class became the premier New Zealand centreboard class, a status it retained until the 1950s.
Medium and Materialswood
Measurements4.27 m x 1.75 m (LB)
Credit LineOn loan from Auckland War Memorial Museum
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved